Friday 23 November 2018

I believe in the kindness of strangers!


This evening I went out to see my friend Sreemati di. Not for very long. At Prema Villa, off Rashbehari Aveune.
I gave the waiter a 200 rupee note. He brought it back saying that it had writing (numbers--written by a bank employee) on it and could not be accepted.
The bill was a 150 rupees. I paid a 100 that I had and asked Sreemati di to pay the balance amount. I had not wanted her to pay at all.
Now, I needed to change that 200 rupee note if I had to ride back in an auto. It was too much of a bother calling for an Uber in the noise and din of Rashbehari Avenue.
I went up to a socks seller (winter ones to wear with a sari) on the pavement and said, 'I have this marked up 200 rupee note. If I buy two pairs of socks from you, will you give me change?' He looked at the note and said, 'No'.
I hesitated to go into any other pavement shop. Almost near Rashbehari Avenue, I suddenly stopped by one,near Habib's. I asked the shop owner, 'I have a marked up note. If I buy something from you will you change it?' He said, 'You don't have to buy anything. Give it to your Uber driver and just don't tell him it is marked'!
A young man had his back to me. He said, 'Money is money. What is all this fuss about having something marked up? You give it to me Ma'am. I'll give you change. I'll give you two hundred rupee notes'.
He was not handsome. He was not rich. He did not look very distinguished.
He was kind. He felt he wanted to help this lady. There are others like him in this city.
I will never forget him. I believe in the kindness of strangers. I believe kindness and purity exist.

No comments:

Post a Comment