Monday 1 October 2018

MA

A small town girl who came to Kolkata to study for her M.A degree. Brilliant. Alert. Open. Curious. Always an outsider to the West Bengali family she married into.

Always referred her father as having given her life. Of having nurtured her intellectual being. Of giving her the inspiration to move further ahead. Who set to naught all the protests from other family members who said, that Dadu should not spend all that money on educating a girl. That he should spend it on educating a boy in the family. But Dadu had not listened.

He had said, but she has done so well. How can i not give her the opportunity?

I think may be he earned the curses of many because of this decision. I don't know. When I reflect upon why my mother did not have the kind of career she so easily could have with that wonderful start ( even my results are not that good), I wonder whether someone's curse worked. I am superstitious. I am not as driven by reason as my mother is.

But her Locke, Berkeley and Hume have had a great influence on her life. Reason is her God. She knows no other.

But what a traveller! So intrepid. Coming to Kolkata to study. Mahanagari. Not fazed. Extraordinary. I have never quite thought of it like that. Have been too preoccupied with mine to think so much about hers.

No comments:

Post a Comment