Thursday 27 December 2018












It is always unfinished business with God/Cosmos/Universe/Other people. In a slightly grim song Rabindranath writes, 'noi, noi e modhur khhela/tomai amai shara jeebon, sakal sandya bela/....koto baar je nibhlo baati gorgey elo jhader raati/samsarer ei dolai dilo sangshai er thela..'
Translation ( my own, the sense of the words as i understand them..)
It is not a sweet game with you, Oh Lord. Disruptions, discontinuities and question marks come in all the time..certainty changes to uncertainty..one can't be sure of anything..
In The Waste Land Eliot for instance says,
',,,On the banks of the Thames, I can connect nothing with nothing..(approximate quote--can't get up and check)
Children leave. One ends up negotiating the universe on one's own. It speaks elliptically, sometimes. You have to catch its language. Sometimes it helps you with dreams..
So Rabindranath once again writes,
'Aji jhoder raate tomar abhishaar, paran sakha bondhu hey amar'
Oh you journey to meet me my Lord on a night of storm and darkness
Bodo bedonar y moto bejeccho tumi hey amar o praane..
Oh you have plucked so heavily on my heart strings, my Lord
'Tomar holo shuru amar holo shara'
You begin and I end..
[Of course, this needn't be the Lord. It is the dialectic that exists between two kinds of people--those who are radicals and those who prefer security..
In my life, English Literature has been one of my greatest teachers. My great teachers--the great Greek tragic dramatists (Sophocles, mainly but also Aeschylus), Shakespeare, Keats, Wordsworth, Eliot, Rabindranath Tagore...
Thakur and Ma have taught in different ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment