Friday 14 December 2018



In the end what does one give?




In the end it all boils down to how much love one can give. How much. The ultimate manifestation of this love is perhaps to meet the light that is in nature with the light that is within oneself. To feel that the sky (especially) and the trees and birds are one's relatives and inmost beings.
Once a friend of mine had commented about the self-absorbton of someone closely related to her and had said, 'She does not watch the seasons go by'. At that point I was very young and did not exactly understand.
But I understand now. I understand why Rabindranath laments (he comes up so frequently in my posts because I have learnt his songs for many many years and my mother is a great Rabindra bhakta) in a song, 'Jodi prem dile na praane keno bhorer akash bhore dile emon gaane gaane?' (If you didn't give me love then why have you filled the morning sky with so much potential for music?') He means that the glory, the beauty the softness of the morning sky should raise an answering melody in the heart of the human being.
In sonnet 116 Shakespeare resonantly states:
Let me not to the marriage of true minds admit impediments
Love is not love which alters when it alteration finds
Or bends with the remover to remove..
Oh no! It is an ever fixed mark that looks on tempests and is not shaken..

My quotation may not be exact because I use my memory and not my text book.
'Ami roope tomai bholabo na bhalobashai bholabo....jaanbe na keu kon tuphane torongo dol uthbe praane/ chander moton olokh taane joware dheu tolabo..'
I will not tempt you with my beauty but immerse you in my love..that love which has the compelling power of the moon on the tides (Rabindranath, again)
In Pied Beauty Gerald Manley Hopkins says, 'glory be to dappled things' (meaning deer)
Posted on FB on 14.12.17
pos

pos
Top of Form

No comments:

Post a Comment