Wednesday 21 February 2018


My translation of Rabindranath Tagore's Bhagini Nivedita which in English becomes 'Sister Nivedita' which is what she is called...
I will upload the entire translation over the next couple of days. This was published by Sutradhar in 2016.


Sister Nivedita
                                                                       Rabindranath Tagore
When I first met Sister Nivedita, she had only shortly arrived in India. I had thought that she would be like any other missionary lady who came to India, only in her case, her religion was different.
It was because I had this impression that I approached her with the proposal that she accept the responsibility of teaching my daughter. She asked me, what kind of education did I want for my daughter? I answered that she give my daughter the kind of education that is structured around English as a medium of instruction. She said, ‘Why do you want to impose a form of education on the child that is foreign? To bring out the combined power of integral national excellence and individual ability in a person, is what I consider the right kind of education to be.  I don’t like suffocating this intrinsic ability under the weight of a foreign structure’.
I agreed with this position in its fundamentals.  However, how the  distilled  excellence of a national culture and the unique ability of the child, could be simultaneously identified and awakened , so that this child established harmony yet distinction within a world order of culture, was not known to me. I felt that although a very gifted educationist might pull off this extraordinary task, it would well remain outside the reach of an ordinary one. Therefore, most of us remain dependent on structures that are generally available. As a result, we often miss the targets we wish to achieve and involve the child in various trials of learning. A human being, who has the special characteristic of having a developed consciousness, should not be used carelessly like a commodity, but that is the general practice in society.

Although I had my doubts about whether she could impart to my daughter the kind of education whose formula she outlined, I told her that she could have her way with my child, and that I would not impose any demands on her. Perhaps for a fleeting moment she became inclined towards the project, but declined almost immediately after, saying that this was a task that was not meant for her to do. She had chosen a particular lane of Baghbazar in which to carry out her idealistic endeavors, and her purpose was to not impart education to the girls there, but to awaken the spirit of education that already existed dormant in them.  Unlike the missionaries, she was not interested in the numbers that she pulled into her camp, nor was she interested in increasing personal power and privilege within the individual families of these girls.   

No comments:

Post a Comment